Sunday, July 21, 2013

BATKAR KADHI ( MASOOR DAL KADI)


I am not know as a dal eater ( other than the daily Bong staple dal, the famous runny, Moong, masur or Udad dal and occasionally Bengal gram, Arhar and matar) . Sabud ( whole dal with husk) is vert very rare .
The other day I came across this awesome recipe at Aparna Dubey’s FB. I can’t give the reference as her FB may not be open to public. I told her I would cook and publish the recipe and she gladly permitted.
THE RECIPE
This a famous Chhatisgarhi dish , a dahi Kadi with whole Masoor dal. I have made very little changes in quantities and the dish was cooked exactly as per Aparna’s specification.
INGREDIENTS
11/2 cup Whole Masoor
11/2 cup sour yogurt
2 tsp besan
4 Dried red Chilies, cut into pieces
1/3 tsp Methi seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder ( optional, I have added)
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 tsp oil ( Any oil, but I have used ghee)
4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped.  (This can be optional as a Jain or temple dish)
6 green chili  
1/3rd tsp Sugar ( added by me, this is sugar to taste and not for sweetening)
Salt as per taste
1 to 2 cup water to dilute the curd
PROCESS
Wash the masoor dal and soak for 2 hrs or more. Cook in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water, salt and turmeric. Switch off burner when the pressure is relieved 1st time (1st whistle) and allow the cooker to cool down on its own.
Whip the curd smooth in a bowl. Take besan in a separate vessel and add 11/2 cup water with stirring so that no lump is formed. Mix the besan, water and curd. Add chili powder (optional) . The mix should be close to butter milk or bit thicker
Pour the dahi mix into the dal and mix well. Cook for 5-8 minutes and adjust consistency by adding water or evaporating water.
In a Kadhai / Pan, heat oil for tempering, Add methi followed by, mustard and the red chili, add garlic and lower heat. Roast the garlic and the mixture for few seconds and add it to the Dal.
Add green chili, heat and continue stirring for 3-4 minutes.
The dish is ready

Serve with ghee and rice or roti, paratha 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i normally give a skip to dal recipes..but this one caught my attention..will try it :)

Sanoli Ghosh said...

A wonderful dal recipe Ushnish da. Sounds delicious and looks stunning. Will try it definitely.

today's post:
http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/07/fish-corn-balls.html

Arti said...

Yummmmy, looks very inviting... Ushnish da :)

Oriyarasoi said...

Hi Ushnish dada.....visiting ur blog after a long time....was on a haitus myself after my baby was born.

Ur recipes are awesome as ever and i love the way you make it all look so simple.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear AOF
Congrats!! I am sure you and your baby are doing well. I am also off blog these days. But cant visit your blog ...your blog is infected with a deadly worm which steals data from your computer and infect others also ...please remove it
I want to read the missed out recipes , but cant go to your blog

Jaya M said...

Ushnisha Da,
eyi kadhi ta besh bhalo hoyeche ..ami mung dal diye banayi , masoor dal diye korey dekhbo..and the glass bowl , ki bolbo amader kache O same glass bowl chilo, I mean ache ekhono :-)desh'er barite..regards

Shruti J said...

Absolute delish!!! Just redirected to your page n found few yummy dishes here!!! Great... Happy to connect you :)

Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com

Padmajha said...

Hi Ushnish!How are you?
I made this a few days back and have posted it on my today.I enjoyed this kadhi.Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Padmajha said...

Hi Ushnish!How are you?
I made this a few days back and have posted it on my today.I enjoyed this kadhi.Thanks for sharing this recipe :)