Wednesday, July 6, 2011

KACH-KALA KHOSA BATA (RAW BANANA / PLANTAIN PEEL PASTE)

In Bong food, bata or paste, (making a paste out of vegetables, peels, prawns, fish , meat  etc) , has a especial place. But the recipes are dying out. I love these dishes. Of course the donkey work of grinding these things on a flat stone with a cylindrical stone ( the contraption is called "Sil -Noda" in Bong) is done by SOMEONE. Now with the mixer grinder, things have become easier, but my wife sticks to the old things, thinking that it gives a better taste.. ( better taste!!! ...my foot!!, thank God she wont read this, I only have to confirm that the recipe has been shared with my blog friends.). This is pure vege or vegan dish without onion or garlic.
This recipe comes for you only from my wife. My main contribution to this recipe was 1. eating..2..typing the recipe here .3. Stirring the final mix on burner when she was getting ready to attend to  her date. ( date with patients).
INGREDIENTS
* Peel of 3 raw banana ( Green), dont chop. . ( The inside flesh is used for other delicacies).
* Green chili hot  3-4 ( more the merrier) 
* Mustard seeds 2 level tsp.
* Grated coconut  same volume as the peel. ( After boiling, chop the peel . If the peels are one cup , take 1 cup grated coconut , but not less than 3/4 cup.)
* Oil 2 tsp ( not more than this). This dish should not be oily.
* Kala jeera, Nigella seeds 1 tsp.
Sugar 11/2 tea spoon 
Salt to taste
PROCESS
Pressure cook the peels in salt water for 15 minutes, cool and chop to small pieces.
The boiled Peels


grind the mustard seeds and green chili 
Grind the grated coconut 
grind the peels.
Mix the above material,  sugar and salt   and grind once more. It should be a thick paste.
NOTE: The above process in my house is done on a SIl NoDa mentioned above.
I think you can do it in a mixer-grinder.
Heat oil in a Pan and give seasoning of Nigella , add the paste and mix it with the seasoning thoroughly. Heat for 2-3 minutes. It is not the idea to fry the mix, it is just to mix the seasoning and heat sufficiently . If the paste is too thin due to grinding in a mixer grinder,  you can evaporate the excess water. 


Eat with hot rice and more green chili.




Here is A GREAT DISH from a blog friend, please try it.
Ajwainee Arbi ( Colocasia with Carom Seeds)

I made this awesome dish the other day . I am not giving the recipe here, but posting a photograph. Please click here for the recipe. Try this , it is simple to make and very tasty. The blog "A girl's Diary"  has very good recipes too. Thank you very much for this great dish, Khusi 
The only change that I have made ( which was not necessary) is , I dusted the Arbi slightly with corn flour just before frying..
                                                                    Ajwainee Arbi Photo

42 comments:

Amritha Kalyani said...

I haven't heard of any recipe with raw banana peels. Very interesting recipe. I love spicy food. Am gonna try this. Hope you are doing good!

Santosh Bangar said...

wow what a use ofpeelof banana very new tome but ihink it can be used with any meal

Deepthi KR said...

wow!!!!
they look yummy!!!!!
DD
Good Food Recipes
Coffe With Me Deepthi

Binys Recipes said...

Ushnish dats superb to go with rice as u said...we make banana peel pakodas...recipe very new to me....appreciate the colocassia with carom seeds as well....it sure makes u happy..i know

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Both the dishes looks awesome and would be great with rice as you said. the side dish of arvi is also superb. I luv it.

Seema said...

Ushnishda,

That's very new to me! Never ever heard of Banana Peel being consumed in any way. I mostly make KanchKolar Badar Jhol and throw away peels. Next time I have raw banana home, there will be two dishes made for sure.

Thanks a lot to your wife! (Although you typed and posted the recipe)

Regards,
Seema
amchi-bong-konnexion.blogspot.com
seemabbas.blogspot.com

Radhika said...

This is new to me. using the peels I never thought you could make such a super duper dish. thanks for sharing.


Event: Let's Cook - School Break Time Snacks

Sharmistha Guha said...

Oooff!! Apni to phataphati byapar arombho korechhen....ekdom Ma'r haather authentic bangali ranna gulo blogpost e!!! Too good.
Ar Boudi kintu ekkebaare khaati kotha bolechhen ...sheel-noda e bataar taste mixie te baata'r taste er theke far far superior!!!

khushi said...

Thanks a lot Ushnish uncle :)
the arbis are looking red hot.....

And the banana peel recipe is very new to me.... but sil noda te batar por je taste hobe that we will not get in mixer :(

Gauri Gharpure said...

Never heard of a recipe with banana peel as an ingredient. Sounds very interesting!

Arti said...

We call it Sil Lodi!! And I think SOMEONE is right, it definitely tastes much better, convey my thoughts to HER!!
Looks like a very delicious recipe, though its new to me. Also thanks for posting a veg recipe, I always look forward to them!!!
Have a wonderful week ahead :)

Sutapa said...

Ushnishda great old recipes from Bong kitchen and this is super delicious with a plate of steamed rice! Hats off to Boudi that she still use sheel noda to give you the authentic taste that's true love Dada.. that no machine in this whole world have ever produce....you are so lucky!!:)

Priya Suresh said...

Quite an interesting and wonderful paste, looks super delicious..

Unknown said...

both dishes sound so yummy!

aipi said...

Unfortunately the sil is too heavy to carry in a suitcase so I could not bring it with me here to the US but I am a firm believer that some things are done best the traditional way. I enjoy visiting your site as you always have such down-to-the-basics recipes that I believe are usually the foundation of a culture/cuisine.
US Masala is hosting a giveaway. Do check it out here

US Masala

Rumana Rawat said...

Looks very yummy... now comes to your question. for bhindi you can use the same pickle masala which you have.. No need to make it again.. Use the same Priya pickle masala.. that also will come out very well.. Have nice day:)

Indian Khana said...

This is like so new to me and looks yum ...thanks for sharing ...glad to find your blog ..u hav a wonderful space

Prema said...

Very nice recipes,luks Delicious...

Deeksha said...

Banana peel recipe is very new to me! Sounds interesting and yummy!
Arbi is my fav sabzi. Urs look awesome!

Suman Singh said...

I haven't heard of any recipe with raw banana peels. This is something new and very interesting recipe. And I will definitely agree with SOMEONE here..she is right, it tastes much better..my mom still uses 'Sil Lodha' for grinding day to day sabzi masala..there's something really delicious with it..

Prathima Shivraj said...

Both dishes sounds yummy, very new for me. Will try this soon.

Unknown said...

Hello Ushnishda, I'm good, thank u..how about u??? We do make raw plantain peel recipes, but this paste is new one for me, sounds interesting and appetizing!!Have a raw plantains in my fridge..so love to try this soon.Thanks for sharing.:)
Btw I do remember that u tried chettinad chicken from my blog and ur words for me on ur blog is best compliment one can get!! thx for being encouraging and supportive :)

Shobha said...

Have seen many recipes with banana peel but never tried out any. This one looks nice and spicy.
The arbi looks yummy too..will be excellent side dish with dal chawal.

Mugdha said...

HELLO USHANISHJI,

U always surprised me wid so many new types of recipes...i never even heard abt a recipe from banana pil...this looks amazing and very nice...will soon try it out...and the 2nd dish is also a yummy one..thanx for sharing such a nice recipe...hope u r doing good..tc..:)

Sudeshna said...

Oh, I love that so much. The kach kola khosha bata had always been my favorite and even the lau khosha bhaja.
The shil-noda is a really cool Bengali invention. The texture and smoothness that you get from it can never match the ones out from the food processor. I still find it hard to grind posto in a mixer, it's never like that posto paste from the shil nora.

sangeeta said...

I love plantain peel chutney with coconut , but this re fried version with n nigella sounds really good. Let's see if i can grind it on the sil batta :)

Unknown said...

innovative recipe looks so yummy.

Zareena said...

Hello Ushnishji, Never tried making anything with peel. this looks delicious and yummy. Nice one. Will try this soon.

Purabi Naha said...

Ushnish da, I am so happy that you shared this wonderful recipe with us. Since I've eaten this before, I know how out-of-the-world it is! Yes I know that your SOMEONE has great muscles for shil-noda, but I would like to stick to the mixer-grinder for this. This must be an East Bengal recipe, isn't it? Yes, my shoshurbari-people insist me to have these kinds of batas with extra chillies and mustard oil!!! Gorom bhaater shathe shukno shukno makha...
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

Deepthi KR said...

thnX ushnish gosh for dropping by my blog and leaving your lovely comment!!!!

Food Blog News Daily
Event-Healthy Snacks

Urmi said...

Kanchkolar khosha bata eta ekdom notun dhoroner ranna shikhlam kaku tomar kachh theke. Ami kachkolar bora baniyechhi tobe khosha diye je eto bhalo ekta ranna hote pare dharona chhilona. Thank you Kaku.

Mugdha said...

Hi Ushanish ji,

I shared some awards with u...please collect them from my blog...tc..enjoy..:)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...completely new to me...sounds very tempting ji..:)
Tasty Appetite

Saji said...

awesome recipe!!!
First tym at your place...happy 2 follow u
thesaji.blogspot.com

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Hi... New here...I do cook with raw plantain peel,but this is very new to me...looks delicious...Loved reading your himalaya trip post too..:)I liked the clicks in that the river click is too good..
Following your lovely space..:)

Indrani said...

Ushnishda, kachkalar khosha bata diye ami mochar ghanto banatam,mochar alternative..anek din banai ni, jadi banai post korbo..boudir recipe tao darun...try korbo...amar browser e problem chilo, blogger was not working, now it's Ok..now you can see the posts

Simplyfood said...

I always throw the peel away now I have found a way to use it.

Preeti Kashyap said...

I am gonna make this! Looks so yummy Ushnishda!

Jaya M said...

Ushnish Da,
kemon achen?
eto darun-2 recipes eyikhane ache..kon take chere kon ta choose kori bojhte parchinaa..and if boudi still use sheel/nora for grinding then she needs whole lot of applauses for that ..nothing can match that taste..amar ma majhe-2 eyi ta korto..apnar ghoroya ranna amar bhishon priyo..regards

Srivalli said...

Very interesting recipe ..

? said...

This is new for me; we do use cooked plantain peels. Have several recipes like this from Eastern India- Bengal and Orissa.

Jaya M said...

Ushnish Da,
Have linked back this recipe..hope it's fine with you.eyi ta amar ma korto majhe-2 which she got it from one of her friends..tobe can't recall what ingredients she used, so just though to link this recipe for kanch kola kosha bata.regards